Search This Blog

Saturday 31 August 2019

First Aptitude Test is Done!

Cruz's puppies are all done!  We did them yesterday and what great results!  I was so proud of all these little guys!  One test we do is for Stability.  When the pup is 4-6 feet away, an umbrella is popped open at ground level.  It is quite startling.  It is not shoved at them with the intention of scaring them, but just opened suddenly.  There are many different reactions that can happen:

1.  Jump, run and hide. 
2.   Run away barking.  
3.  Stand still and bark at it.  
4.  Jump, stand and stare.  
5.  Jump, move back a little and stop to assess. 
6.   Walk up cautiously and check it out.  
7.  Walk up boldly and sniff it.  
8.  Walk up boldly and bite it (playfully).  
9.  Stand still and bark at it.  
10.  Run up and attack it.

You can see there is a great variety of behaviours to consider.  There are about 10 exercises and they are all the same way.  They all have a great variety of reactive  behaviours to each exercise.  And there are no "wrong" behaviours.  They are just behaviours.  But I'm so proud because every single one of my puppies did behaviour 8!  As far as I'm concerned, that is the very best behaviour they can exhibit.  Courageous, assess the situation as not dangerous, play with it!  They grabbed the umbrella and just dragged it around the room!  It was hilarious!  I'm so proud of my little guys!  

And that is just one of about 10 exercises.  We test for dominance, trainability, forgiveness, pain tolerance, (we don't hurt them!) prey drive, pack drive and a few others.  It's really very cool.  On Sept 22 and 23, I am travelling to a 2 day seminar on a new way of testing and matching puppies.  I've used this test for 25 years so it will be extremely interesting learning a new way.  I'm looking forward to learning the most recent, scientifically based procedure to create K9 partners for people.  Because that's what I'm all about!

We will test Nova's litter on Monday and once they are done, I will be able to match puppies with families.  I know you are just dying to know which puppy but consider yourself extremely lucky!   I have 13 puppies to choose from to find the very best puppy to suit your needs.  Not just 8 or not just 5.  This has never happened before in all my years of breeding.  I've had only one time where I had 2 litters on the ground at the same time but they were 3 weeks apart so I could not draw from both litters when it came time to match people and pups.  It will be VERY interesting.

And I thank you for your patience.  Everyone has been very good about waiting and I know it is really, really hard.  Thank you!

Soon!  Soon!

Mary Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment