Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 April 2019

A Terrible Thing Has Happened (No one has died)

2.5 days ago I went into the building 20 minutes after feeding the puppies to pick up their dishes.  I saw Miss Pink was sitting strangely.  Her left right leg was straight out.  I went over and picked her up and she was her usual happy, tail wagging self.  I put her back down and off she ran with a stilted kind of gate.  Since she wasn't in pain, I thought maybe she'd pulled a muscle slightly or maybe another puppy had bitten her leg.  By the evening, her leg did not seem to be better and she seemed to be weak in her back end.  After so many hours, I thought if it was something minor, it would have corrected itself by now.  I then started worrying about more serious things like broken legs or dislocations.  But there wasn't any pain.  How could that be?  I was horrified to think there was no pain because there was nerve damage so I pinch her toes.  Yup!  There's feeling and she pulled her leg up and away from me.  There wasn't much I could do for her that night and she seemed in good spirits so I left her with her brothers and sisters.  I called the next morning for a vet appointment but there wasn't a single vet in the area that could fit me in.  I had to wait until yesterday afternoon to get in.  They took x-rays and found that poor Miss Pink had a trauma related dislocation of her hip!!  I've been crying ever since!  There are no good options.  Either surgery (and possibly more than one) for thousands of dollars with no assurance it will work because she is so young, or …

I have just been going out of my mind!  Crying like a baby! The only thing I can think of is Maya accidentally stepped on her as she was jumping into their enclosure.  She is always so careful about where she lands.  She always looks over before jumping and then adjusts her body angle so as to miss the puppies who may be on the other side.  So if that's what happened, it was just a freak accident.  

I've done nothing but care for her for the last two days.  My apologies for the phone calls and emails I haven't returned.  I will get back to those asap.  And my most sincere apologies to Bob who was supposed to come and see the dogs today.  I TOTALLY  forgot all about it!  Thank you so much for your understanding.  I also apologize for my breaking down on the phone.  Just what a guy wants to hear!  A woman crying on the other end!!  Sorry Bob!

Please send prayers and good thoughts our way.  I'm still trying to find alternatives.

Mary Ann
                                                                coming out of anaesthetic 

1 comment:

  1. See if you can talk to Dr. Schiller at Western Vet in Calgary. She was Cali's surgeon and she's pretty much the TOP Canine Orthopedist in all of Canada. If she can't fix it, no one can!

    If it was successfully reduced, I would think slinging it for 2 weeks would be sufficient. She's a growing pup, recovery should be quick. And young pups have really loose ligaments to begin with, so I wouldn't suspect there'd be a lot of damage. But of course, I'm no expert.

    -Julie F

    ReplyDelete