Search This Blog

Thursday 2 May 2019

Feeding the Puppies

As you know, I am feeding Petcurean, NOW Fresh, Large Breed Puppy food.  But here's the specifics.

They are fed approximately 1 cup, 3 times per day.  Times of the meals can vary somewhat but it is approximately 8:00AM, 2:00PM and 8:00PM.  No food and limited water after 8:00PM.  It will cut down on your nighttime bathroom runs.  

Added to the puppy's food is Vitamin C.   The dosages are: 500mg daily until 4 months old then increasing to 1000mg, and finally to 2000mg daily until 18-24 months of age. Vitamin C is virtually harmless so don't be worried about overdosing. It can cause diarrhea so if this happens just decrease the dose slightly. I recommend a buffered C and divide the amount between meals as opposed to adding the whole dose to one meal.  Ascorbic Acid is most common, however, they have the poorest absorption rate by the body.  Vitamin C can also be found in Ascorbates and are easily absorbed in the intestinal tract of dogs.  I have a mortar and pestle and grind the pills to sprinkle on the food.  I add just enough water to mix it well.

I also add a dog multivitamin daily.  I use VitaHealth daily vitamins.  https://amzn.to/2GYtJFg     (I will get a small percentage of you use this link to purchase the vitamins through Amazon Canada)


I feed puppy food no longer than 9-10 months at the latest.  This will slow down the growth and help prevent Pano (growing pains).  It will not stunt the growth, just slow it down.


If you have any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

Mary Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment