Search This Blog

Thursday 16 May 2019

Pele (Miss Pink) and the Guardian Angel Shepherd Family!

Pele is doing incredibly well.  So well in fact, it's hard to tell her from the other puppies!  The only thing that gives her away is that she gets tired faster.  She runs, and plays, and wrestles just like the others.  Her weight is good, her coat is shiny.  She's perfect.  Except for that darn dislocated hip!

In case this is the first time you've been to my blog, we had a litter of puppies born March 3, 2019.  We ended up with 11 happy, healthy puppies.  At around 6 weeks old, I came into my puppy building and saw Pele, sitting in a strange position.  Not crying, not whining.  Just sitting strangely.  Long story short after a trip to the vet, and x-rays, we discovered she had a dislocated hip.  The only thing we could figure was her Mother stepped/jumped on her as she was entering the kennel.  We took Pele to physiotherapy and they were optimistic about making an effort to get her hip back into place using a sling and exercises.  Another trip to the vet and he dashed all my hopes.  I came so close to euthanizing her that day.  But I couldn't.  She had such a love of life.  She didn't know this wasn't normal!  She just took it all in stride.  I've never seen a tougher dog in my life!  And now I know I made the right decision.  She is a perfect bundle of joy (with a limp)!

And the news gets better!

It's official, she's going home!  She will have her very own family!

I've known this family for several years now.  They have been patiently waiting, for years, for a Guardian Angel Shepherd.  And this was the year to finally get one!  They waited patiently when they found out Maya had been bred.  They waited patiently to find out she actually was pregnant.  They waited patiently to hear if there were enough puppies for them to receive one.  They waited for the phone call to say "yes, there's enough puppies!"  And they were waiting to find out which puppy they would receive.  But instead of me telling them which puppy would be theirs, they told me.  They wanted Pele!  They could have had a healthy puppy but no, they wanted the injured puppy!  I couldn't believe my ears!  After all this time.  After all these years of waiting.  I literally burst into tears on the phone.  I was so happy that Pele would have her very own family who would love and care for her and her special needs.  I did my best to explain what the vet had told me and it might come down to a total hip replacement in the future.  And that was okay with them.  I was ecstatic!  My faith in humanity was renewed!  

So I'm very happy to tell everyone that Pele is leaving for her home in Saskatchewan tomorrow.  I'm hoping we get lots of updates on how she's doing and I will pass them along to you as I get them.

And I need to thank all those incredibly generous people who donated money to pay for Pele's vet and physiotherapy bills.  I was amazed at how caring people truly are.  You always hear all the worst things and you tend to start feeling like that's all there is out there.  But that's absolutely wrong!  There are so many people who opened their hearts for Pele and I am truly, truly thankful.  Some gave money, some did extensive research into her problem and offered suggestions, some prayed.   I have also donated the cost of a puppy towards the upcoming medical bills she will encounter. All of you are a gift.  We are family.  Family doesn't have to be blood related.  We are the Guardian Angel Shepherd family!

No comments:

Post a Comment