Search This Blog

Sunday 11 March 2012

Puppy Aptitude Test

The puppy aptitude test was developed by Jack & Wendy Volhard in 2001.  It helps determine the puppy's strengths and weaknesses.  Yes, weaknesses.  Although we all want the perfect puppy, it very seldom happens.  Most times you need to be able to give up something to get something.  If you want a male, black and tan, medium energy, highly social, guard type dog, you're not alone!  There might be one of those in a litter but there might not be.  Maybe it describes one pup to a tee but it's a female.  Or maybe it's black.  Or maybe it's highly social but you have to give up some of the guard traits.  Sure it will stand and bark but maybe she won't bite.  "Guard" means different things to different people.

So yesterday was the puppy aptitude test.  There was a few minor surprises but it pretty much went the way I thought it would.  I know my Alpha, my social butterfly and my pouter.  It wasn't a surprise.  It will take me a few days to interpret the results and match up the people.  This is a very stressful time for me.  I need to determine priorities of traits because as I said above, most times you have to give up something for something else. 

If you'd like to add anything to your questionnaires, now's the time to do it.  Or even if you just want to reiterate what are the most important traits.  Do it now.  Email me at k9trainer@dogwhisperer.ca 


Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment