Search This Blog

Thursday 8 October 2020

Gaia & The Orthopedic Surgeon







Gaia and I made the 2 hour trip down to South Calgary CARE Centre yesterday to see the orthopedic surgeon.  The decision to have surgery on her elbow was a foregone conclusion.  Euthanasia was out of the question, amputation was out of the question, a dog with a lifetime of pain was out of the question.  So, the answer was made.  Her surgery is booked for next Wednesday morning.  We will have to leave at 5:00AM and I will pick her up late Thursday afternoon.  She will be restricted to 3 weeks of minimal movement and 3 more weeks of rehab and gentle increases in exercise daily.  

How is she doing?  Amazingly well!  How am I doing?  Stressed and worried.

The orthopedist said she will be pain free for many years but to expect she will get arthritis in that elbow.  At that point we will manage her with pain meds.  In the meantime we will manage her with joint supplements and restricted exercise.  No jumping over 10 foot walls like her Dad!

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and best wishes.  It means the world to me that so many of you are thinking of us at this time.  Gaia is the only daughter I have from Cruz who is now retired.  Cruz is the only daughter I have from Diesel. Diesel is a son of Justice and Justice is a son of the ORIGINAL Angel!  So Gaia is one of the true original lines that I have.  The lines I have been developing for almost 30 years.  So apart from the fact I love her dearly and would do anything for her, she is a very important part of my breeding program.  And for those of you who know Gaia's Mom, Cruz, you know she has given me a number of service dogs and PTSD dogs.  So I'm hoping Gaia will continue to supply people with dogs they can depend on to help them on a daily basis.

She is such a sweet and gentle girl.  Just like her Mom.  Cuddles on the couch is her idea of heaven!  The vet was very impressed with her conformation and temperament.  She said she hadn't seen such a nice German Shepherd in a very, very long time!  So calm, quiet and easy going.  And barely over a year old! That's my Girl!  I was very proud of how she behaved.  I was a little worried having not had her off the farm for the last 6 months due to COVID.  Sure, she's come to town in the Jeep with me, but I haven't been taking her out.  She has plenty of friends and acres to run in at home so no need to put myself in danger around strangers.  

So that's the story.  Again, thank you so, so much for reaching out to us.  This Guardian Angel Family is the BEST!


Mary Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment