Search This Blog

Saturday 11 March 2017

Pet Secure Insurance & Clicker Training

Hello Everyone,

I hope all my new puppy owners are doing well with their new charges!  I've heard back from almost everyone and the one  I've not heard from I'm assuming no news is good news!

Two things today.  By now you should all have received an email from Pet Secure with the information you need for the 6 weeks of pet insurance.  Be aware that they will encourage you to purchase one of their programs before your 6 weeks is up.  I would suggest to you that you shop around.  I have 2 dogs insured with Pet Secure and have not always been happy.  And with anybody you go with READ THE FINE PRINT!  One company won't insure the dog if the injury happened while "Jumping, Running or Playing"!  Another company won't insure if the accident happen while the dog was out of sight.  If you are the kind of person who can put away money religiously, I would make an account specifically for your vet bills and not go with the insurance companies at all.  All they are are savings plans that you can't necessarily get your money back out of.  The choice is yours but at least you are now going in educated.

The other thing I wanted to talk to you about was clicker training.  Several have asked about it and YES!  It is a great way to train!  It uses motivational methods and your dog will LOVE it!  A clicker trained dog is not afraid of making mistakes and will try new behaviours when you are teaching.  "Oh! you want me to sit, no, down, no rollover, no,…"  A dog who thinks is a spectacular dog.  Every dog can start with clicker training.  But some dogs will need more as they mature.  But for now, if you are interested in clicker training I suggest you go here:http://dogmantics.com/about-clicker-training/    Emily Larlhlam is a really good place to learn lots of beginner clicker training.  She is an excellent instructor and you will learn lots from her.  I highly recommend her.  Her website is www.dogmantics.com  

If you are looking for more advanced techniques, my trainer's name is Michael Ellis.  You can type in his name on YouTube and you will be amazed at what he can accomplish with his dogs.  He is a world class trainer and competitor.  And he's a breath of fresh air in the competition world.  He also employs clicker training but combines it with other techniques.  Even beginners will learn lots from him.  Some might be too technical but everything he teaches is wonderful.  Who knows?  You may find that golden nugget of information you needed!

Good luck everyone!  Let me know how things are going!

Mary Ann 

1 comment:

  1. For anyone interested my personal recommendation for pet insurance is Trupanion. You can choose your own deductible, therefore adjust what you pay monthly to suit your budget. And they cover 90% except for preventative or pre-existing. Their customer service is also excellent in our experience with our cats.

    We did get a phone call and letter from Petsecure, when my mom talked to them on the phone they made sure to email me.

    Also. Yay clicker training! I tend to use a verbal marker because I forget to carry a clicker or treats... So verbal marker with praise works best for me. But Cali is super food motivated, he'll work for his regular kibble, so it's nice to have that option!

    Julie F

    ReplyDelete