Search This Blog

Thursday 1 September 2011

Vancouver, Mystique & Life In General

This past weekend involved a whirlwind trip to Vancouver.  I delivered Mystique to her new family, took 1 day to tour around Granville Island Market and then rushed back home.  Although it was very rushed, it was good to get away from routine. 

Mystique travelled very well.  Her biggest problem was she wouldn't go pee!  We stopped every two hours enroute but nothing.  The days were hot and she was drinking a lot so I knew it was going to have to come out sometime!  I realized that she probably had seldom, if ever, peed on leash.  We would go for walks but never more than a few hours.  She always waited to go until we got home I guess.  Up until now, I hadn't even thought about it.  She only went once/day!  She had lots of opportunity but I guess she just wasn't comfortable with the whole "being-on-leash" idea. 

She behaved herself like an Angel in the hotel room.  Not a sound through the night, (and no accidents!).  The following day was the same as far as relieving herself.  Just once!  We were there to give her praise and recognition but it obviously didn't make an impression on her. 

We arrived in Vancouver just at Friday afternoon rush hour.  Instead of fretting, we decided that we would put some good music on the stereo & just enjoy the sun.  We travelled most of each day with the roof off of the Jeep.  I LOVE my Jeep!

We eventually arrived at our destination where Mystique's new family were waiting anxiously.  A family of 5 had been counting down the days until she arrived.  They own a beautiful, monarchal, older German Shepherd  by name of "Jack".  He will be a very good influence for Mystique.  I decided they should meet on neutral ground so we met at a park a few blocks from their home.  The introduction couldn't have gone any better.  Before long we were all walking side by side towards home. 

Mystique was a little shy around the new people but I knew she would come around quickly.  She was the perfect dog for them.  You could tell that Jack, even though he was in his senior years, would have been a handful.  A true working line German Shepherd that knew he was King.  This time, they wanted a more easy going individual that loved kids, was gentle but would protect when necessary.  That is Mystique in a nutshell.  All she ever wants to do is please.  When she's excited, she runs around looking for something to bring you.  She's just a wonderful girl.  As you can probably tell, I do miss her. As does her yard mate Cruise.  They would chase each other around and around for hours at a time.  Mystique now has more than enough kids to keep her busy!  I'm afraid Cruise doesn't think I make a good Mystique double!

After all the initial introductions, we sat down to a WONDERFUL dinner.  Everyone made us feel so welcome.  Thank you Ann!  We swapped dog stories and even one or two horse stories.  But time was marching on and we had to get to where we were staying for the night.  I was pretty much a wreck when it came time to leave.  I didn't want to say "good-bye" and upset the dog so I suggested Ann take her for a walk.  I watched them walk down the street, knowing I'd found each of them a good partner.  We waited until they were out of site, then left. 

"I'm such a cry baby!" I said.  My husband said "You're not a cry baby.  You have a soft heart."  I love my dogs with all my heart.  When you've lived with a dog for 18 months, she becomes part of the family.  However, I knew that Ann & her family could give her a wonderful home.  She even gets to go to work every day!  Then come home to play with three kids!  Does life get any better than that?!


So here she is, just a few days after arriving, looking like she's been there her whole life.  Not a fairy tale ending... a fairy tale beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment