Search This Blog

Sunday 18 August 2013

9 Puppies, 1 Migraine & 1 cracked rib!

Things are still crazy here.  The puppies are doing well except 1.  He was the last one born and endured labour for over 24 hours.  That can play havoc with a little body.  He is continuing to lose weight even though I'm trying to bottle feed him.  Today I tube fed him and will do so every 2 hours for the next 24.  That should either make it or break it.  I may be imagining it but I think he's looking just slightly better. 

And the cracked rib?  During the whelping process, I was lying on a futon beside the whelping box waiting for the next puppy to appear.  Every time Cruz got up, I had to run interference to make sure she didn't step on the puppies already delivered.  I was lying on my right side and stretched into the box to move some puppies.  Thanks to the removal of most of my stomach muscles via surgery last year, I could only suspend myself for a short time.  I was extending my stretch much longer than I could, and fell back onto the futon to save myself from landing face first in the whelping box.  Unfortunately the metal handle used to pull the futon out was no longer covered by the mattress and I came down with all my weight right on top of it.  It felt like somebody had stabbed me in the front and the knife came right out the back.  I've never had any broken/cracked ribs before but I'm 99.9% sure this is what a cracked rib feels like.  Hurts to breathe, hurts to bend, hurts to twist, etc.  I've had broken bones before and this feels like bone pain as opposed to muscle pain.  But enough about me!

I promise when things settle down, I will give you all the details of the whelping.  And update you on the progress of the weak puppy.  I won't give him a name because it makes it harder if we lose him.  But we'll keep trying and hopefully we'll be successful!

The following post will be from a lady who can no longer keep her Guardian Angel Shepherd due to the fact her elderly parents moved in with her.  The next post is her letter hoping to find a good home for Angus.  He is an all black 8 month old male.  I cannot bring him here as all my kennels/yards are full and I cannot have a new dog in the house with my newborn puppies.  Please read the following post.  There is also a video to go with it.  If you can help Bev, please give her a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment